Monday, December 23, 2013

Almost finished on the theater

It's been a mad rush to try to finish before Xmas

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Making the screen

I decided to make my own accoustically transparent projection screen. This means the sound travels through the screen to you, instead if having to placd the speakers around the screen - a much more realistic experience - but with a slight trade off in gain.

These screens can be quite expensive so I made my own.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Chairs and lights finished

The theater chairs are now installed. They are Salamander Talia seats with motorized recline and Clark Synthesis transducers to add some rumble.

The lights are from Schott's

Monday, November 25, 2013

Carpet and Lights

Carpet got installed over the weekend.

The material we chose was a Feltex commercial carpet (Xion), with a commercial rubber based underlay - which should be great for acoustics.

It was supplied by Carpet World, and they contracted the installation work out to a professional laying service. The installer was from Mt. Eliza - don't recall his contact details, however he did a terrific job on the installation.

Also getting ready to finish up getting the lighting installed in the room. The brackets to hold up the lamps have had wood screwed onto them, and the lamps are fixed onto the brackets. The lamps themselves were ordered through Schots Home Emporium on Punt Rd, in Melbourne.

I spent a year looking for the right lamps to go on the wall - there's not much to pick from in the Art Deco space locally in Melbourne.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

More theater woodwork

More work over the past few days on the columns. My father has been working on making some shelves to go inside the columns so that we can store the bluray movies there, and also to mount the speaker. Looking at the close ups you can also see we've drilled the holes to mount the hinges so that eventually we can close these up.

We've also been doing some work on those two metal brackets that are poking out the wall. What we've made out of timber, is an upside down mini-column - best if I show you a picture.

The idea is we are going to bolt the table lamps to the top shelf, and the upside down mini-column bit, is going to conceal the electrical wiring box that's in the wall. All up I think it's going to tie together quite nicely.

None of this new timber work is painted yet - it just has a first coat of sealer on it. Next step will be to get it spray painted to match the columns.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ongoing Theater Construction

My father and I did some work over the past couple of weekends to paint and install the trim pieces around the fabric panels and soffits - this hides all the staples that we used to staple the fabric in place.

The moldings were all made with the custom art deco profile through Australian Moulding Company, they offer a great service and deliver the timber in 5.4M lengths to your address.

My wife and I also finished painting the ceiling, and the rope lights have now been plugged in. The rope lights are blue LEDs from Bunnings.