Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Frame Complete

It's been a busy past week or so as I get ready to head back to Seattle. Hopefully this will be the last trip back to Seattle for some time.

This past week I've ordered 160m2 tiles for the bathroom - La Perla (white) limestone from RMS in Brunswick here in Victoria. It's going to fill up 5 pallets and weigh close to 5 tons.

I've also ordered 300m2 of hardwood floors. I'll be using a pre-finished timber from Tait Flooring here in Melbourne. It's a 6mm European Oak veneer stuck onto a plywood substrate - it makes it a lot more stable (resistant to cupping), when you order wide planks that Claudette likes.

The good news for me is that it comes pre-finished with 7 coats of paint, so all I need to do is cut it to size & lay it.

Also this past week, I've met with the heating & cooling contractor to determine what we're doing for Air Conditioning and Radiant/Hydronic Heating. I need to supply gas loads for all the appliances to the plumber so that he can run the right size gas lines. To complete the picture I need to send him the heat loads for the swimming pool heater, and work out the size of the hot water system.

It took a while to evaluate options on the hot water heater. I considered 2 units (one for each wing of the home), and I considered a solar heated unit (with panels on the roof and a storage tank). In the end I opted for tankless hotwater system.

Rinnai make a 32 Litre a minute, environmentally friendly condensing instant hot water system that's almost 7 star energy efficient, so we'll be using one of those units.

Also this past week the carpenter has been busy putting up the roof trusses, and has started building the parapets that will hide the box gutters, and the central feature tower. They expect to have the frame finished up on Friday.

With me headed to Seattle tomorrow, it's going to be a while before I post the next update.

You can see more in the below photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment